I found this recipe and did some tweaking of it a bit to suit my family's tastes. It was the first time Mr. Man was surprised that something I made was actually better than he thought it would be in the end.
Here is the recipe:
Cheesy Pesto Chicken
4 chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thick (I used my rolling
pin and a zipper storage bag)
8 tbsp of basil pesto (about 2 tsp per breast)
1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced 1/4-1/2" thick)
bamboo skewers or tooth picks or string (for tying the breasts up)
**Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray cooking dish.
1. Lay the pounded chicken breast out and spread each of them with 2 teaspoons of pesto then add the sliced cheese (I cut 4 slices in half so they fit in the middle of the chicken breasts)
2. roll/ wrap/ pin the breasts together. Place in lightly sprayed cooking dish
3. Brush remaining pesto over the top of the breasts then layer the fresh mozzarella on top of pesto.
4. Place uncovered cooking dish in the preheated oven.
5. Cook for 50-60 minutes, depending on how your oven runs. Make sure the juices run clear and the cut into the chicken and be sure it is no longer pink.
I also breaded the outside:
2 1/2 c. panko breading
3 lg eggs
2 tbsp water (add more if needed)
**optional: 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
1. Add eggs into a low sided bowl and the water, whisk the eggs and water together
2. Pour panko and cheese into another low bowl.
3. Have dish ready, dip in the egg then roll in the panko and place in the cooking dish.
4. Then go back to the 4th step for cooking the chicken above.
*Sorry for not adding this step, I forgot the twist I added to the recipe...it was late when I was writing and Monkey was getting between me and the keyboard.
* Served it with mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, you could also serve it with salad, veggies, rice or dressing. I think it would also be great left over on a baguette. I wouldn't know this because there were no leftovers tonight...Mr. Man jumped at the chance to gobble up the last of it.
I hope that you enjoy the meal as much as everyone here did. Monkey and Princess even loved it.
**Sorry, I didn't get a chance for pictures but will add some once I cook it again very soon. Princess asked if we could have it again (a big thing for her).
Take care and Happy Cooking!!!